Transport & Logistics
Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
Salary is Negotiable, DOE+ Profit Related Bonuses
Customers are the heart of everything our client does and with a diverse customer base that incorporates a range of sectors, they pride themselves on adding significant value through their supply chain expertise and innovative customer solutions. Many of the UK’s best-known brands count on our client to serve their markets - now you have the opportunity to join and lead this team! A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Transport Operations/ General Manager, to work for this outstanding family run business founded in 2008, who pride themselves on their company culture.
Based in Bury St. Edmunds,our Multiport Container Logistics client provides container haulage services from all UK ports, with its own fleet of vehicles, therefore container experience is a must when applying for this role.
JOB OVERVIEW AND PURPOSE:
Principally responsible for the management of the team to ensure the smooth running of container road haulage shipments and the handling of administration relating to this workflow, alongside fleet Management and overall compliance. Playing a lead role in creating effective transport plans for customer loads in an efficient and cost-effective manner, whilst complying with legal responsibilities.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Controlling and overseeing the planning of resource (vehicles, drivers, trailers); ensuring all legal requirements are adhered to (Working Time Directive and EU drivers’ hours regulations) and that all compliance requirements are met in relation to vehicle and trailer maintenance and additional drivers regulations;
- To oversee the team’s performance in relation to effective management and planning of deliveries and drivers;
- Ensuring there is on-going communication, that the team is always making regular contact with drivers for up to date ETA on outbound and return journeys and keeping customers updated;
- To guarantee the daily plan is completed in real time, managing resources effectively, maximising utilisation whilst minimising cost. Pre-planning Day 1 for Day 3, allowing for minor adjustments and the ability to take on any additional work to maximise fleet revenue potential;
- Taking the lead to instruct the team on action for late runners, ensuring the customers have been notified in advance. It is also vital to maintain accurate data for a performance monitoring, to enable the business to monitor it’s delivery KPI stats accurately;
- Oversee systems and procedures for the communication of demurrage to customers when reported by drivers, to be recorded via email for future verification;
- Making sure the team are keeping up to date with best practice and demonstrating this to the customer base;
- Regularly meet with customers from a customer service perspective and communicate via telephone/email weekly to enhance relationships and expand contact reach as directed by the Company owner;
- Use reported company KPI’s to demonstrate business strength in communication and delivery excellence;
- Strong communication skills (written & verbal) are required as liaising between customers, suppliers, internal staff, drivers and company directors/owners is key;
- Meticulous organisation and attention to detail even when under pressure and working to deadlines;
- Strong IT skills in both Microsoft Office and an understanding of in-house container logistics systems, utilised by the traffic desk for delivery management and ensuring vehicle and driver compliance;
- Profitability of fleet against set targets with full accountability;
- Demonstrating management initiative, with the willingness to resolve complex issues in a timely and responsive manner;
- Good time management skills and ability to organise own workload and respond to others within the business and externally to meet deadlines;
- To remain in control, calm and focussed at all times and support others when dealing with pressurised situations;
- Projects a positive and ‘can-do’ attitude when communicating both internally & externally;
- Contributes to overall business strategy and can make the necessary business changes to meet the agreed strategic targets;
ESSENTIAL & DESIRABLE SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
Essential – Previous Container Transport Management Experience
Desirable – Transport Manager CPC qualification
To discuss this in confidence please call Nora Cherneva on 0845 862 1554 or submit your details to apply and we will be in contact shortly.